Share your experiences with others who understand in our counselling and support programs.
Alzheimer's Australia currently offers a range of support options to help people living with dementia and their families. You can also attend a range of information sessions and courses especially designed to support, inform and educate people who live with dementia, and those who care for them.
- Living with Dementia Program
- Memory Lane Cafe
- Informational opportunities and public education courses
Living with Dementia Program
The Living with Dementia Program is an information and support program for people living with early stage dementia and their support person.
- Living with Dementia is a flexible group program held as either four or six weekly sessions (depending on need), or as a residential or semi-residental retreat.
- In each program the opportunity to separate and discuss relevant issues is provided for people living with dementia and their family member or friend.
- Programs are run in both metropolitan and regional locations and are free of charge.
For more information on this program, contact the Gateway Counsellor: Phone 03 9815 7800 or click this link to email Alzheimer's Australia Vic.
You can always call the National Dementia Helpline on 1800 100 500.
Memory Lane Café
The Memory Lane Café program is available for people with dementia and their family members or friends.
The Australian and Victorian governments, under the Home and Community Care Program, have provided funding for Café Style Support Programs that are offered throughout Victoria.
These cafés provide an opportunity for people with dementia and their family members to enjoy time together with some refreshments and entertainment, in the company of people in a similar situation to themselves. Alzheimer’s Australia Vic counselling staff and trained support volunteers also attend.
To find your nearest Memory Lane Café, please call the National Dementia Helpline on 1800 100 500. You can join a Café by yourself or through an agency referral. Join by contacting the National Dementia Helpline, or by completing our referral form. Click here to download and print the referral form.
Informational Opportunities and Dementia Education Courses
Alzheimer's Australia Vic offers a broad range of free sessions and education courses for people living with dementia, their friends, family, and carers. Please click the links below to browse our range of events.
- Melbourne family information and support sessions and group programs
- Regional family information and support sessions and group programs
- Free dementia information and education seminars
- Public education and dementia awareness courses
All Melbourne sessions and group programs are held at our Hawthorn information and support centre. Regional sessions and group programs are held in a variety of locations - click on the 'regional' link for details.
We do our best to accommodate requests for training in other areas, including rural locations. Topics can be adapted to suit the needs of the group.
For more information please contact Lisa Reed on 03 9815 7822 or contact us by email.
Not comfortable to attend group support sessions?
You may prefer to talk to one of our professional counsellors in a private and confidential setting. Read more about our counselling services.